G.E.M Tang: A Rare Gem

I have been listening non-stop to G.E.M Tang‘s songs recently, and it is currently on non-stop replay as I write up this post. G.E.M is an exceptional singer with an exceptional voice. Ever since I discovered her single Someday I’ll Fly, I have been taking notice of her music but it wasn’t until this year when she appeared on I Am a Singer Season 2, a Chinese singing reality show adapted from the Korean version of I Am a Singer similar to The Voice, American Idol, The X Factor except with professional singers with a well established career competing against each other that I really started to take notice of her. Her performances has received critical acclaim for her amazing voice and ability to put on a powerful live performance. She also bet out a number of singers with more experience than her having scored 1st place for three of the six rounds. I don’t watch this but I have been catching each of her performances and I have to say, she puts in 110% effort each time.

G.E.M was born in Shanghai but moved to Hong Kong at a young age and this was where she grew her music career. She has been making an impact to the music industry ever since she won a singing competition at 16. Her ability to sing in Cantonese, Mandarin and English has allowed her to venture out into a variety of music genres. Through her powerful voice and genuine personality, she has been able to garner a huge fanbase around the world, but had trouble entering Mainland China music’s industry. That all changed this year. Upon entering IAAS, her fame has been skyrocketing. Her Weibo followers soared to 3 million after IAAS aired. At only 22, she has already achieved so and her future paths are glowing gold.

Nowadays, with a large number of new singers debuting each year, it is becoming rarer and rarer that singers can actually put on live-performance but G.E.M proves that she is very capable of doing so. Each of her performances has been amazing. I really like her live singing. In fact, for most of the time they stand right on part to pre-recorded performances. Well, enough talk from me; you need to see for yourself. Check out her performances. (:

Also check out this live piano performance which I absolutely love love love!

12 thoughts on “G.E.M Tang: A Rare Gem

• February 14, 2014 at 7:59 am

She’s such an amazing singer. I love how the emotion shines in her singing. Thanks for the heads up!

• February 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

Yep, I loooove her! She has a really strong voice and she is amazing singing live.

• February 17, 2014 at 11:57 am

I love her. I’ve been following her since her debut and her music has never disappointed me. Her ability to sing live as well as write songs (taking part in composing or writing lyrics or both in most songs in her albums) makes her stand out among all the other singers of this generation.

• February 17, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Yeppp, I love her too! She is incredible not only as a person but also in her career as a singer. She has incredible talent in her. She has the writing skills and she sings incredibly well live. She has already established so much with her career at such a young age!

• February 19, 2014 at 10:09 am

She’s my favorite out of the new I Am Singer cast even though I’m not following the show anymore. I just prefer its competing show, 中國好歌曲, haha! But she’s really cute and she earns brownie points for being Yoga Lin’s girlfriend, they both sings well and Yoga’s voice is just so dreamy and mellow.

• February 19, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I love her! She is one truly amazing woman with a very powerful voice! I only catch her segments. LOL. Yeppp, being Yoga Lin’s girlfriend does her her brownie points!

• February 19, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I love her as well! I have 3 of her albums and I”m planning to get more if I have the chance (I’m broke T^T). Apparently, she composed her debut song when she was in primary school! She is amazing! When she sang “You raise me up” in one of her concerts after her granny died, I cried so much! You can really feel her emotions and I felt really upset:( What is your favoruite song of hers?

• February 22, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Yeppp, she is truly amazing! She composed her debut song when she was 10!

She is not only an amazing singer but also a genuinely sweet person. I love her! Recently I have been obsessed with that live piano performance of “My Secret”

• February 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I like G.E.M too! Specially her appearanced and duet with Jason Mraz in his concert.. But I’m not really following her coz I don’t listen to cantonese songs, most of her songs in canto ^^

So recommend me her best songs from her latest album / last 2 years everyone? But please not a canto one ^_^

• February 24, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yeppp, she’s a great singer! (: Oh? That’s ashame. You should really listen to them because they are beautiful! I would recommend “Someday I’ll Fly” but that’s a Cantonese song. Regardless, you should give it a try. In fact, I recommend her album “Xposed” which has both Canto and Mando songs.

• March 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I remember I was listening to her music in the begging of her career. But due to the other great music from other singer, I didn’t focus on her singing until now